Safety Comes First at BenchWorx
Our steps for each project include safety checks from an instructor before the student may proceed.
Other safe practices:
- All hand tools; no power tools.
- Plastic safety guards help kids drill only as far as needed.
- No splinters from BenchWorx projects; every wood piece gets sanded.
- Kids are first taught how to use the tools.
Once they are confident and use the tools correctly, they finish the project themselves.
Saw Setup Side View
- The Miter Box is against the desk and vise.
- The pencil line drawn on your wood with the Tri-Square is lined up with the correct slot on the Miter Box.
- The bottom of the C-Clamp is completely under the desk.
- Mr. Brown is present and is a pinky width away from the line.
- The C-Clamp is tight. Use your muscles.
- Safety Check!
Kids learn to hold and use saws correctly.
- Use both hands when taking out, transporting, or putting away a saw.
- Red tape indicates exactly where to put hands so fingers are not in the way.
- Use shims to guide the work.
- Hold projects with a vise, not with hands.